Uses a naturally-occurring acid that does not harm bees, unlike many other treatments that often use poisons
- Comes with vaporizer and 1 gram measuring spoon. To purchase oxalic acid, buy Oxalic Acid Wood Bleach at your local home building store, or order BZOA from our site.
- Cup is made of 235-watt cast aluminum
- Features a built-in timer and an automatic-off function once the vaporizing cycle has been completed
- Offered with a 1 year warranty
- Oxalic acid is a naturally-occurring acid found in many foods such as chocolate, beets, spinach, and peanuts. It gives such food a slightly bitter taste (think: dark chocolate). Oxalic acid also naturally occurs in hives, so, if used as directed, it will not harm any bees! This vaporizer connects to any 12-volt battery and heats up the oxalic acid within the Vaporizer's aluminum cup. The oxalic acid reaches such a high temperature that it transforms into a gas and fills the hive. The acid kills mites by seeping into their blood stream through the pads on their feet.The best time to treat is when your hive has no brood, because oxalic acid kills mites that are not in capped cells. However, treating in late August and early September can be helpful as the mites' breeding rate increases during those times. Note: Although using oxalic acid has been approved by the EPA, individual States must approve its use as well - check with your State to make sure!